WISTA Russia welcomes Jurinflot Law Firm – the first corporate member
November 25, 2019
WISTA Russia is very proud to bring aboard its first corporate member – one of the leading maritime law firms in Russia – Jurinflot International Law Firm.
Jurinflot International law firm has more than 25 years of experience in maritime law and neighboring spheres. Prior to 1991, Jurinflot existed as an in-house law department of V/O “Sovfracht” – a Soviet state shipbroking company. In 1991 “Jurinflot International law firm” was set-up as a separate entity – first as a joint venture between “Sovfracht” and the two Protection & Indemnity (P&I) clubs of the International group and from 1994 – as a professional partnership. Jurinflot is currently currently recommended as a firm specializing in shipping law by the international legal directories ‘Legal500’ (http://www.legal500.com/c/russia/transport), ‘Chambers and Partners’ (http://www.chambersandpartners.com/180/1161/editorial/7/1), as well as the Russian national legal rating Pravo.Ru-300 (http://300.pravo.ru/?menu_open=12-38). Our team-members took part in drafting of the current Merchant Shipping Code of the Russian Federation (enacted in 1999), as well as of the legislation relating to the implementation of the “Sakhalin-2” product-sharing agreement.
At the same time, Jurinflot practice is not limited to maritime law and also comprise considerable experience in other fields, which include international trade (particularly commodities trade), foreign investments in Russia, offshore operations.
Jurinflot principal office, with 12 lawyers, is based in Moscow and also have a small affiliate office in Saint-Petersburg with 2 lawyers.
Jurinflot experience in shipping and related matters is rather diverse and allow Jurinflot to handle dispute resolution, contract & project work, as well as advisory work for both Russian and foreign/international clients. A large part of work is connected with marine insurance and related claims, including claims for damage caused to ships, cargoes, third-party property, environment, life and health of individuals, etc. Jurinflot is an official legal correspondent of the four P&I clubs of the International group (West of England, North of England, UK P&I and Steamship Mutual).
Below are some notable examples of matters in which Jurinflot was involved in the last few years (the Russian legislation on advocates’ activities restricts us from disclosing identity of clients and other details of the matter without specific permission):
- Rendering overall legal support to a Russian state company in a project to charter seven cruise liners from five different US and European owners for employment as floating hotels during the 2014 Olympics in Sochi – from drafting charterparties and negotiating the terms to advising on a multitude of legal issues arising in the course of the project – from charterer liability insurance, tax and currency control aspects to immigration issues;
- Preparing detailed questionnaires for major international trading houses on various aspects of trading commodities (coal, oil, metals, etc.) with Russia – including formation and validity of contracts, public procurement, customs, tax and currency control, export licensing, rules of access to trunk pipeline system and other issues;
- Conducting a pre-purchase due diligence research in respect of a major Russian shipping group in the interests of a potential buyer;
- Advising a major European financial institution on issues relating to change of status of a borrower domiciled in Crimea following the change of sovereignty over this region;
- Assisting a Russian client in drafting, negotiating and signing a long-term time-charter in respect of a specialized cruise vessel with a European owner and in arranging specific insurances;
- Advising major US and European equipment suppliers on issues related to supplying their products (engines, industrial refrigerators, automotive components, equipment for oil industry) to Russia – import licensing, local component requirements, customs and currency control issues, etc.;
- Assisting international financial institutions in taking pledge /mortgage of Russian assets (including vessels, commercial real estate, shares and interests, rights over bank accounts, etc.);
- Advising foreign ship-owners on issues relating to transition of the Kerch strait in connection with application of the sanctions regime;
- Representing the owner and insurer in civil administrative and (partially) criminal matters initiated after the loss in storm of a drilling rig under tow with loss of life, as well as advising the owner in matters connected with compensation for loss of breadwinners to the relatives of the deceased crew members;