Employment Opportunity – APL – Marine Superintendent
May 17, 2023
Job Title: Marine Superintendent
APL, one of the world’s leading ocean carriers, offers more than 90 weekly services and call ports in over 50 countries worldwide. We provide container transportation
through our international shipping network which combines high-quality intermodal operations with advanced technology, equipment and e-commerce. APL is part of the
CMA CGM Group, a leading worldwide shipping group founded in 1978 by Jacques R. Saade. CMA CGM has a global presence thanks to its numerous vessels calling
various ports all over the world. CMA CGM has grown continuously, and has been constantly innovating to offer its clients new sea, land and logistics solutions.
Headquartered in Marseilles, the Group has employees all over the world in hundreds of agencies. With over 160 years of experience, APL has the knowledge and the
expertise to help our customers grow their businesses and negotiate in an increasingly complex and ever-changing global marketplace – whether that is venturing into new
territories or growing in already developed markets.
- Ensure all ships are operated in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Monitor vessel certification status : Port State Control, class, flag and regulatory.
- Liaise with the Captain and the Technical Superintendent. Arrange surveys and
inspections as required.
- Assist the Captain with CG-2692 and any required notifications to Fag and class
- In collaboration with the Technical Superintendent, prepare port calls activities: deck, crewing, safety, and operational aspects (bunkering, stores, etc…)
- Main point of contact for Radio-navigation equipment, arrange service when required, liaise with the Technical Superintendent
- Contribute to build Dry Dock specification for deck, safety, Radionav equipment, and regulatory items, liaise with the Technical Superintendent
- Perform vessel inspection
- Perform evaluations of Captain
- Support management in cost effective methods of meeting new regulatory requirements, including recommendations for changes in operational / engineering procedures and applicable Integrated Management System (IMS) procedures and documentation.
- Review Integrated Management system specific vessel cards for approval and implementation
- Implementation of regulatory and company requirements
- Assist with Integrated Management System maintenance and managing safety and loss control processes.
- Manage ERS (class) enrollment
- Assist in Incident Response drills and exercise design and completion.
- Member of the Incident Response Team
- Supports resolution of marine incidents, accidents or near miss investigations.
- Works with Technical Superintendent and vessel to address Corrective Action Reports identifying the root cause and taking both corrective and preventative actions
- Contribute to define training programs for licensed and unlicensed seafarers
- Assist onboard staff in administration and management of crew training.
- Completes other task and projects as directed by the Fleet Director
Acceptable vessel operations and business management experience which may include:
- Advanced Marine licensed, marine transportation or related course of study or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years shipboard and/or technical ship management experience.
Comprehensive knowledge of Marine Operations from shore-side and shipboard perspectives.
- Understanding of Regulatory (U.S. Coast Guard/flag state, foreign port state and the International Maritime Organization) and Classification Society rules.
- Experienced in the International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
Company Security Officer Training
- Be fully conversant with the IMS.
- Conversant with IT system and Microsoft suite.
Reports to the Fleet Director
APL is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Alternative application methods are available for individuals who are unable to use or access our online application system.
For assistance, please contact us at Applicant_Assistance@apl.com.