Employment Opportunity – CMA CGM
May 18, 2022
Location: Norfolk Va, US
Senior Legal Counsel
Led by Rodolphe Saadé, the CMA CGM Group, a global leader in shipping and logistics, serves more than 420 ports around the world on five continents. With its subsidiary CEVA Logistics, a world leader in logistics, and its air freight division CMA CGM AIR CARGO, the CMA CGM Group is continually innovating to offer its customers a complete and increasingly efficient range of new shipping, land, air and logistics solutions.
Committed to the energy transition in shipping, and a pioneer in the use of alternative fuels, the CMA CGM Group has set a target to become Net Zero Carbon by 2050.
Through the CMA CGM Foundation, the Group also acts in humanitarian crises that require an emergency response by mobilizing the Group’s shipping and logistics expertise to bring humanitarian supplies around the world.
Present in 160 countries through its network of more than 400 offices and 750 warehouses, the Group employs more than 130,000 people worldwide, including 2,900 in Marseilles where its head office is located.
The Sr. Maritime Counsel will provide sensitive, responsive, imaginative, and cost-effective litigation handling and general support to the North American Regional office for high value and complex maritime claims, including cargo litigation, casualty, personal injury, USL&H, asbestos, etc. Provide commercially oriented legal advice along with strategizing and coordinate with insurers, Head Office legal department in Marseille, France, shipping agents overseas, and outside counsel to successfully defend or pursue claims and litigation.
This position will be responsible to:
- Provide support on all legal matters, including litigation handling and general support to the North American Regional office for high value, and complex maritime claims, including cargo litigation, casualty, personal injury, USL&H, asbestos, etc.
- Appropriately appoint and manage, when necessary, outside counsel, correspondents, and expert witnesses, identify and evaluate evidence, analyze liability and quantum, and litigate, arbitrate, mediate or settle by negotiation.
- Strategize and coordinate with insurers, Head Office legal department, shipping agents overseas, and outside counsel to successfully defend or pursue claims and litigation
- Provide commercially oriented legal advice to general legal inquiries from internal departments and comprehensive litigation summaries for presentation to senior-level management as requested by the SVP/Chief Legal Officer.
- Ensure proper notification and reporting of high potential claims to relevant stakeholders, including senior company leadership, legal team management, insurers, and agents worldwide, when applicable.
- Miscellaneous related duties or Projects as assigned.
Skill Sets / Education & Experience Requirements:
- Advanced Degree (PhD, Law, etc.)
- Licensed to practice law in at least one jurisdiction (New York, New Jersey, California, Florida, Louisiana preferred); licensed or eligible to become licensed to practice law as in-house counsel in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Minimum 6- 8 years’ work experience required.
- Detailed understanding of shipping law.
- Competent in handling claims, including specialist operations and contractual claims, in line with approval authorities and with minimal supervision.
- Experience working as a P&I correspondent preferred.
- Competent in writing coherent and comprehensive litigation summaries for presentation to senior level management.
- Ability to work independently under supervision of the SVP/Chief Legal Officer.
- Strong aptitude for managing and prioritizing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, decision making and coping skills.
- Advanced negotiation and project management skills.
- Strong leadership skills, and experience in organizing and driving meetings with multiple stakeholders involved.
- Conveys confidence and anticipates inquiries
- Team player.
- Proactive self-starter.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to articulate complicated issues in a manner that others can understand.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively with global clients and customers.
- Strong skills in use of legal reference materials, including electronic resources such as Lexis / Nexis and WestLaw; and
- Strong skills in use of M.S. Office, including M.S. Word, MS PowerPoint, and M.S. Excel spreadsheet systems.
- Must be able to travel (less than 10%)
Skill Sets / Education & Experience Preferred:
- 6 to 8 years of litigation experience, including maritime claims, with a sophisticated law firm, corporation, or P&I Club
CMA CGM (America) LLC is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected classification.