Employment Opportunity – Clipper Navigation Inc
June 1, 2022
Marine Engineer / 3rd Assistant Engineer
Salary: $42 – $52 an hour
Job Type: Full-time
US work authorization (Required)
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Full Job Description
Since 1986 Clipper has provided marine transportation services in the Pacific Northwest, a region we love. We operate two fast ferries, the San Juan Clipper conducting day trips from Seattle and the Victoria Clipper V with daily service from Seattle to Victoria. Since 2016, Clipper has been a proud part of the FRS Group, an international shipping and maritime company with headquarters in Germany that transports 8 million passengers and more than 2 million vehicles per year.
This position is local to Seattle, WA only.
We are looking for a Ship Engineer for our passenger vessels. This position is available aboard our Victoria Clipper V (VCV), which sails daily to Victoria, BC, Canada. This is an opportunity for a motivated individual to become part of a well-established company with a competitive compensation package including great health benefits, 401K matching, a flexible schedule, free travel onboard our vessels for you and your friends, as well as other “Clipper perks”!
The Ship Engineer is responsible for safe operation and maintenance of all shipboard propulsion, hydraulic, electrical, and auxiliary systems aboard the vessel. Experience with MTU engines, waterjets, hydraulic, electrical, air conditioning, plumbing and general maintenance preferred.
Please note, this position requires you to be based in the Seattle area. There are no onboard accommodations (vessel returns to Seattle nightly) and relocation is not provided.
Seeking applicants with titles of: First Engineer/1st Engineer; Second Engineer/2nd Engineer; Third Engineer/3rd Engineer; Marine Engineer; Ship Engineer; Chief Engineer; Assistant Engineer; Duty Engineer
About the vessel
- 167 feet long, 40 feet wide
- 525 passengers plus crew
- 2.75 – 3 hour sailing time
- 6960kw / 9333hp
- waterjet propulsion system, standard cruising speed of 36 knots
- Supervises the daily technical operation of one of the vessels in the fleet
- Monitors vessel seaworthiness, crew, and safety as well as environmental protection
- Maintains and repairs technical equipment of the fleet and related on shore equipment
- Contributes to the conversion and modification of the vessels
- Contributes to compliance with all applicable class, flag state and port state rules and applicable requirements by regulatory agencies
- Contributes to the safety management
- Must have a strong understanding of diesel mechanics and subsystems.
- USCG license – Third (3rd) Assistant Engineer unlimited or above with SCTW III/1 designation
- MTU and/or water jet experience (preferred)
- Knowledge of diesel engines, hydraulics, basic electrical, basic HVAC
- Citizen of the U.S. or have the legal right to be employed in the U.S.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Ability to travel regionally and in the US
- Must be able to legally travel to Canada
- Must be vaccinated against Covid-19 (required for entry to Canada)
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Bonus pay
All vessel crew must be vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Are you willing to take a drug test, in accordance with local law/regulations?
- English (Required)
- passport (Required)
- STCW certificate of competency III/2 (Preferred)
- STCW rating of III/1 OICEW or higher? (Required)
Work Location: One location